With the recent LinkedIn password dump causing Facebook CEO Zuckerberg’s accounts to be hacked, it’s important to know how to keep your personal information safe. Matti Kon, CEO of InfoTech, talked about five key tips to prevent hackers from jeopardizing your privacy.
- Always close your computer browser once you finish using an application, and if possible, it is even preferred to turn off your wireless network, when not in use.
- Use long passwords mixing characters, numbers, and letters. Avoid using your children’s names, birthdays, anniversaries, as these are all obvious options to computer hackers and are easy to discover.
- Change your password as frequently as possible and make sure these changes do not follow a recognizable pattern (such as using numbers 10, 11, 12 to identify the current month).
- Do not store your password information on your computer and do not send it out via email or text messages.
- Whenever possible, use secure emails and secure websites for any of your internet purchases and/or transactions.